Thursday 31 March 2011

Photography Darkroom Workshop 1 - Rayograms

On Tuesday afternoon, I had a Photography Darkroom workshop which was focused on the creation of Rayograms. 

After explanation on how to use the equipment in the darkroom, we were each given some light sensitive paper, and could then begin our Rayograms.

I used a clear glass jar and feathers as the focus object for my Rayogram.

This is a test strip which is used to decide on the correct amount of exposure time that is required for a particular object/piece. The darkest strip has had a 30 second exposure, whilst the lightest strip has had only a 5 second exposure.

I decided that the darker strip looked the most interesting as it had a much larger contrast.


I therefore decided to create a larger, full size Rayogram. As I had previously liked the large contrast, I chose a 40 second exposure for the whole of this piece. 

However, on reflection, I think that a 30, or 35 second exposure would have been better, as this Rayogram looks a little dark, and the edges of the feathers are not as sharp as I would have liked them to be.


Overall, I really enjoyed this workshop and will definitely think about using these type of images in my work in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment