Tuesday 15 March 2011

Paper Sculpture - Making

For this sculpture, I have used a sheet of A1 paper, so that the piece will be quite large when it is finished. I think that on a larger scale, this piece has much more impact.

I started to line out the paper, and draw lines where I needed to cut with the scalpel. I also began to add tabs to the end of each strip, so that these could be slotted together seamlessly.




I used the scalpel to cut out each strip.


I began to fold over each strip into the centre, to create2 curved structures.


I continued to curl over each strip until they were all finished, which ends with a double curved structure that it long and thin.





Then, I curled the whole object into a circular shape, and stapled both ends together.
The curling of this shape, allows each strip to separate from the ones at either side of it, making for a repeated structure that is interesting to view and can hang, or can be placed onto a surface and will sit on its own.


This photograph reminds me of a flower, with petals being the strips on the outside.



No comments:

Post a Comment