Saturday 23 April 2011

Stop Motion Practice 5 - Modelling Clay Character

After reading about how clay characters are made, designed and put together, I thought that I would try and have a go at my own (very simple) one.

One of the most important things about a clay character is that, in order for it to be able to support itself, it's core structure must be made from some sort of frame, that eventually becomes concealed inside of the character.

These are usually made professionally, and are mostly made from wire and metal. As I dont have access to these resources, I used the next best thing - lengths of wood.


I cut out 2 arms and 2 legs from the lengths of wood.

I then used a ball of modelling clay to make the 'body' of the character. I pushed the legs and arms into the clay and into thier correct places.


A close up view.


I then used a slightly different coloured clay to make the arms and legs. I wrapped a piece around the first arm, whilst creating a lump at the end, which I then made into a hand ( of sorts ).


I then worked on the first leg, giving the character a 'shoe' like shape.


Second leg.


Second arm.


I then stood my character upright and flattened the bottom of the shoes, allowing him to stand alone of any aid.


As I thought that my character looked a little plain, I decided to add human like features, eyes, nose mouth ect.


Standing again.


As I was thinking about my themes and music, I decided to add 'feather' like objects to my character, as if it was like a hat or some kind of costume.


Only now was he ready for the animation.


Standing alone by the window.


I decided to do a very short and simple animation with this character. As I discovered that only using one piece of solid material for his arms and legs, meant that they were unable to be moved or bent into more 'life like' positions.

No comments:

Post a Comment