Thursday 17 February 2011

Paper Workshop 1 - 28/01/11 - Continued

As I had previously decided that I preferred the curved forms, I began to focus more on this particular behaviour, and tried to understand the limits of the paper itself.

I started this attempt by using the same method as I did previously, by making small slots to fit each strip of paper into. The difference this time however was that I decided to change the width of each strip from small to large across the sheet of paper.



I continued with this same method until all of the strips of paper were in the correct slots.


I really liked the curved formation of this design but I think that the 'unused' extra pieces of the paper strips almost spoil how well this design works.

However, I think that this photograph from the opposite angle improves the whole design entirely! It has a more sleek finish and doesn't show the extra left over pieces of paper strips.


These photographs showing a slightly 'side on' view of the design are quite interesting to see how the paper flows and turns throughout the curve. The papers behaviour reminds me of the way that ribbon twists and turns.



I continued further with this same method and basic rules to create more curved designs.
On this one, I kept the paper straight and did not twist each strip before putting each one into a slot.




I also varied the width of each strip and the length of each curve, and continued the design until each strip was in a slot.




The above photograph shows inside and through the design, which I think gives it an interesting and different viewpoint.
This photograph is from a viewpoint above the design, and I think that the overall shape looks very similar to the natural shape of a shell that would be commonly found on a beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment