Tuesday 3 May 2011

Colour Practice

After my final decision to create my animation using the cel method, I began to think about the process of adding colour, and whether this was possible.

I carried out some research into how animations can be coloured. This research showed me that for some cartoons etc, cels are transferred to acetate sheets, and the acetate sheets themselves are painted onto. They are then overlapped with one another to create scenes.

I also discovered that a way to use colour digitally is to use the paint tools in after effects itself, I decided to give this method a go, as I would like to create a seam free animation.

I used a previous short cel animation to practice a digital colouring method.

In the following screenshots, I have used the tools in after effects to add a colour onto my animation frames.
I have added the colour red to the babys balloon, by physically colouring the balloon shape once on each frame.











I also decided to experiment with a different style of colouring, a sort of scribble, I have attempted this on the baby's shoes. Once again, this was created by applying the colour once per frame. I like the effect that this method gives, as it gives the impression of movement.




No comments:

Post a Comment